Friday, January 18, 2019

FNSI and IHSW All in One

Friday Night Sew In (F.N.S.I.)
Such joy to be participating in two wonderful "holidays".  Friday Night Sew-In will be tonight for me. Most of the others who participate are in Australia, so already Saturday!  You might see a few blogs rolling around with their Saturday morning check-ins and I'll be doing mine tomorrow.


I have a necessary bit of tidying up that NEEDS to be done tonight so that will be my little contribution such as it is which I will discuss below.


This weekend also heralds the first IHSW for 2019!  What my girls and I used to do was have a "Hangout", video chat open, heads down while we stitch and occasionally say a word or three.  My favorite part is when one person starts "shopping" and sharing links then we all get excited and wallets empty while carts fill.  I miss our hangouts and think we should start doing them again.


A few years ago I had posted about these wonderful hangouts and someone pointed out that HERMIT means alone.  It does and still does!  We did this Hangout during IHSW because we could all remember the date for the most part and wanted to stitch together, even if it's virtually.  Sometimes our hangouts were one on one, with others floating in and out during the day and other times we were all there at the same time talking over one another.  I miss their faces and voices even though I chat with them every single day, it's just not the same.  Might have to demand we start doing it again.

Tonight's project is bobbinating my JodyRi floss.  All of what I have is in one of those suitcase organizer thingies and there's always more coming.  Why I didn't stick with bobbinating back when I started to I have no idea.  I think I may have been overwhelmed by all that floss and wanted to do other things.  Into the organizer the floss went to hide my shame in a cupboard until recently when it was time to start using that beautiful floss for things.  I may have to wander over to Hobby Lobby and buy all the plastic bobbins they have (it's a sickness I tell you!  I've done this several times!).

For the rest of the weekend I'll be working on my beloved Odd Clover which is really stitching up quickly.  I may have to do laundry or vacuum or do dishes........but that tomfoolery isn't essential to my existence this weekend and may fall to the wayside. Seriously, why did I even consider chores as an option for this weekend?  I should be flogged. 


Two books currently on the go are Tibetan Peach Pie by Tom Robbins (recommended by my baby brother) and The Winning of the West by Theodore Roosevelt (yes, that Teddy R. himself!).  Tibetan Peach Pie is FUN and very enjoyable, and then there's the awe in which I'm reading words written by Teddy and realizing this man was well and brilliantly educated even if he was a little hindered by the mentality of the times (but then, in 50 or so years people will look back on our mentality and think we are goofy or wrong or dumb).  




This brings me to my book club book of the month book selection (yes, book, three times...say it with me BOOK):  Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald.  I've mentioned it before, but have now read it and weirdly identify with Austerlitz and his journey to not and then to...find out who he is and who is family is/was.  Told in first, second and third person...it's a pretty interesting read.  The audio book from Audible was not what I would call awe inspiring, so if you plan on going that route...please just don't.  No offense to the narrator, but he made me very sleepy with his monotone and, although sick as a dog, he kept ensuring my eyes were too droopy to stitch which is NO.  In this case, grab that book on your Kindle, Nook or in actual PAPER, and have a go at it.  It was definitely worth the time.  


Of course, this advice is coming to you from someone who enjoys a wide range of books.......except for Catcher in the Rye.  We won't discuss that book or how ridiculous it is that it ever became such a "classic".  I may be one of three people on the planet who don't like it, can't appreciate it and become enraged just thinking about it.  As the book was finished, it flew from my hands at lightning speed across the room.  It's safe to say I loathe that book.  Yes, loathed.  

To each their own, and I'd like to end today's blog post on a happy note:  IT'S FRIDAY!  It's Friday Night Sew-In and the start of International Hermit Stitch Weekend!  So much GOODNESS to consider I could bust with joy!

I hope you all have the most warm, safe weekend possible!

Until next time.....KEEP ON STITCHIN'!

No comments:

Post a Comment