Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas Challenge Segment 1

When we last met I was working on finishing my daughter's Derpy cross stitch.  For those who don't know, Derpy is one of the My Little Ponies and my daughter's favorite.  

Derpy
I created the pattern on PC Stitch and made adjustments to it as I stitched so it wouldn't' look so "weird".  This is my first spur of the moment create a pattern and go with it type thing, which means it isn't perfect, but it is really cute nonetheless.

Next I will be designing a different kind of dice bag.  Normal gamer dice bags are the traditional sacks.  For this one I'm thinking something different.  We shall see what happens there.



On to the self induced Christmas Challenge!!  The blue linen napkins I wanted to use for the Snowman Tree turned out to not be big enough if I were to try and do the 11 count stitching with three over two, and when I tried one over one the floss just slipped behind the weave so much that I just set it down out of disappointment. Two over one created a lumpy mess that I would never be happy with.  I have now decided upon 18 count Aida.

It really isn't like me to use fabrics suggested by the pattern or even follow the pattern completely.  I had done all of that for Spooky Welcome because it was perfect as it....until my evil friend Nancy told me about another stitcher who used a variegated grey for the trees....DANG IT!! I should have thought of that, but am still happy with what I did do and it still is amazing.

Anywho, back to the task at hand.  Today marks the day I will begin the Christmas Challenge in earnest! Prepare yourself for daily updates.  Yes, I have crazy ideas about doing things differently....the pattern was done using Anchor, that isn't happening as I'm a true DMC snob so there is the first change.  The lights will be done with metallic and holloshimmer as will the snowflakes, second change. 

This will be fun, and don't hesitate to share any ideas you can think of as I stitch along.  All suggestions are always welcome.

Between now and IHSW (Dec 22) I should be able to get this done.  I hope to finish this on or around IHSW so we can all enjoy it for Christmas.

One last question.......are you getting ready for 2014: The Year of the Magnificent Teresa Wentzler?  If not, check out the blog for that up at the top of this page and see if there is anything that catches your eye!

Until next time.....

4 comments:

  1. Teresa project took a bookmark break, I have progress on both on the ever fancy new bloggy thing. I HOPE I have at least one day of IHSW off, but even if I don't, I usually don't work later than 2:30 and then we can share a fireball eggnog with the world. I can't wait to see what you do with the snowmen, it already sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah!!! I will make sure we are still here for you when you get home and situated :D We need some show and tell for your bookmarks and TW project :D

      Delete
  2. Supplies for my Teresa project(s) are slowly starting to arrive - I do not like international delivery times, though I really hope I will have everything I need by January 1st.
    I was wondering though - will you be changing as much with your Teresa-projects, or are you going to follow tha pattern for once? *g*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXCELLENT QUESTION!! I'm actually going to do what Teresa says to do. Her patterns are so complicated as it is, it would be an insult to her to change things to suit my inability to do what she has asked :D I may stick with her fabric choice as well....but that part is iffy.

      Delete