Monday, October 1, 2018

Five Months Worth of WIPocalypse

Five months.  Where did this year go?  I've been here, on Facebook, on DeviantArt, the NCCIH website, but mostly on job sites looking for work soooooooooo............

This morning I decided to do what I have done before and answer several month's worth of questions in one go.  I kind of like doing this, but it does make for a long blog.  Hope you have coffee or tea and have taken that potty break!

May:  Where do you love to shop for stash?

At first I wanted to just say 123Stitch.  But then I thought Etsy.  These two were followed by MyNotions, Casa Cerenina, SewNSew, Everything Cross Stitch, PTP, Sparklies, Jodyri, Ebay, and so on.  Honestly, that doesn't even cover every place I love to go but you get the idea.

June:  Tell us what you think the ideal stitching retreat would include.

Having never been to one, and only reading about and watching Floss Tube videos, and discussing a retreat with my girls, I would have to say it would be nice to have a retreat at a lodge or a castle.  To me, the entire idea of a retreat is somewhere secluded.  Going by that, wouldn't it be wonderful to just be in a huge lodge somewhere surrounded by nature and none of the outside interference we all endure daily?  Even a nice castle would be refreshing and secluded.  Walking trails, stitching inside or outside on comfortable patios or in a large dining hall would be wonderful.  



Granted, if it were to be a lodge or a castle, the retreats would be smaller and more intimate.  But who is to stop someone from having several a year so more people could enjoy the setting?

One thing I would like to see are seating placards.  From what I've seen so far, everyone just goes into the big conference room and sits wherever.  Why not have seating arrangements?  When everyone leaves for lunches or for the evening, switch them up!  This way more people can meet more people.  This idea might not be valid since everyone has their stitchy stuff and it will need to be moved, but it could work in certain situations.

July:  How are you doing with your goals so far this year?

As of July I wasn't doing as well as I had hoped I would be.  I wanted to have more WIPs finished and as of July, NOPE.  No WIPs finished.

August:  Which is more satisfying to you and why – the process of stitching a piece, or the finish?

Well, that depends on the project I'm working on.  My Fire and Ember piece is my first full coverage and I'm enjoying the page by page finishes to expose parts of a bigger picture.  I really DO love a complete finish so I can move on, but overall it really does depend on what I'm working on.

September:  How do you keep your stitching stash organized?

Flosses
Hoops, rulers and fabric
Floss boxes, drawers, two boxes and project bags and a cupboard or two.  I live in a 5th Wheel RV and space is limited.  It took me many, many years to downsize from the hoard I did have to the minimal stash I have now.  I still feel I could downsize more but I'm hoping to figure out a better way to store my stash in ONE PLACE and not in four different places.  I suppose now that winter is almost here I could figure that out this year.  For now my spread out method works because if I cannot see my box of kits and patterns then I am less likely to want to start EVERYTHING.
Kits and Hard Copy Patterns

Project bags of WIPs
Also, with the learning to sew up my own project bags I have double insured that new starts or out of order starts don't happen.  It also helps me not to feel overwhelmed as I sometimes do.  I can finish something and then put another WIP in and soldier on!

Looking at these pictures I'm actually feeling more inclined to figure out how to get everything in one place neatly, but I'll let my mind munch on that idea for awhile and see what I come up with.  For now, it works as is.

I do hope you have enjoyed this huge amount of WIPocalypse!

Until next time.....Keep on Stitchin'!!






6 comments:

  1. Oh, that was quite a catch up job there, well done! I do like your idea of the seating arrangements for stitching retreats...there is this place in Germany that regularly holds seminars/retreats for computer scientists, and they will do that - mix up the seating for every meal. They have all those statistics about how many people you will sit with in average and everything, it's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had replied to this before but none of my replies are here for some reason! I love the idea of graphs and stats about seating arrangements. It appeals to my nerdy side :D

      Delete
  2. I have my very own craft room - My Quilting I keep in plastic storage tubs....My Stitching Projects I keep in Vinyl plastic Bags with a Zip Lock or some plain ole Carrying Bags. My Threads I keep in my Plastic Floss Thread Keeper with the Individual slots. I have 9 of those.

    I have two shelving units that I got from Menards and they hold my other stitchy Items and some of my Quilting Items.

    Have A Lovely Day

    Happy Stitching

    Linda K, Buttercup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had replied to my comments back in October but for some reason none of them are here!

      It sounds like you are super organized :D Living in my RV is the first time in a LOOOONG time that I haven't had a craft room. After a year here I'm still trying to figure it out! I miss my craft room, but love my RV more :D

      Delete
  3. I love you idea of having a stitching retreat in a castle or something. I would love that and have a relaxing weekend of stitching and getting to know other people. I find that most people enjoy to stay inside their bubble but moving around is a great idea. I really need to start on WIPocalypse because I could really use to get some of my older WIPS completed. Thanks for letting me get to know you.
    Happy Stitching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reply to you has been lost in cyberspace and so I'm re-replying :D

      I've been participating in WIPocalypse for a few years now and it's helped me keep track of things. I'm not sure how I ended up with so many but at least this way I can keep track and report on it when I remember to :D

      Delete